How to Use the CalVTP
Project proponents can use the California Vegetation Treatment Program to comply with California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) if they are proposing vegetation treatments consistent with the CalVTP Final Programmatic Environmental Impact Report (EIR).
Who is a project proponent?
- Any local or state agency providing funding or having land ownership and/or management or other regulatory responsibility in the treatable landscape.
- This includes the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE), Counties, Cities, Water Agencies, Special Districts, Open Space Districts, State Parks, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), Universities, Conservancies, and many other public agencies.
The CalVTP Final Programmatic EIR is applicable to projects at least partially within the State Responsibility Area (SRA), including projects on private land, if they receive state or local government grants for vegetation treatment.
- CalVTP Implementation Training Spring 2021 – How to Use the CalVTP Program EIR for CEQA Streamlining - YouTube
- CalVTP Implementation Training Spring 2021– How to Use the CalVTP Program EIR for CEQA Streamlining - PDF
- Understanding the CalVTP: a Virtual Training for Beginners
- CalVTP in Practice: Lompoc Valley Fuels Reduction Project Purisima Ridge Fuel Break – November 3, 2022
- CalVTP Question and Answer Webinar – November 9, 2022
- CalVTP & PWP in Practice: Covell Ranch Forest Health – December 6, 2022
- CalVTP in Practice: Sequoia Lake Case Study Webinar
- CalVTP Field Training: Covell Ranch Forest Health Fuels Reduction in the WUI – web resources
- CalVTP Regulatory Streamlining Summary
- Monterey County Forest Health and Fire Resilience Public Works Plan (PWP)
- State Water Resources Control Board Vegetation Treatment General Order
- San Mateo County Forest Health and Fire Resilience Public Works Plan (PWP)
- Vegetation Treatment Standards for Projects in the Coastal Zone of Santa Cruz and San Mateo Counties (PDF)
- Santa Cruz County Forest Health and Fire Resilience Public Works Plan (PWP)
- Upper Salinas-Las Tablas Resource Conservation District Forest Health and Fire Resilience Public Works Plan (PWP)
The links below provide templates, examples, and instructions for using the CalVTP Project-Specific Analysis (PSA).
- PSA template (Appendix PD-3 of the Programmatic EIR, Volume II)
- CEQA Flow Chart for CalVTP PSA Process (Figure 1 of PSA template)
- CEQA Findings and Statement of Overriding Considerations template
- Programmatic EIR Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP) (Appendix B of the Programmatic EIR, Volume I)
- CDFW Contacts for CalVTP Projects
- CalVTP Training FAQs
- Evaluation of Air Quality and Climate Change Impacts from Specialized Biomass Processing Technologies under the California Vegetation Treatment Program
Sample PSA Documents
Please visit the CalVTP Homepage for more information.
For general questions, please send inquiries to email@example.com.